Comics Creator and Writer David Gallaher got his first job in the industry by faxing a six-panel comics version of his resume to Marvel.
That happened at the beginning of a career that would continue to leverage technology, inventiveness, and hard work towards the co-creation (with Steve Ellis) of comics like Only Living Boy, High Moon, Box 13 and others. In 2015, Gallaher and Ellis also worked for DC Comics on Green Lantern Corps: Convergence.
David and I had a great conversation on this latest episode of Coffee with Creatives — which represents yet another instance wherein a connection began online (Twitter) before graduating to an IRL meet-up.
Among many other topics, here’s what we covered:
- Participating in the early days of web comics
- How a background in theatre helped David’s comics writing
- The benefits of prioritizing productivity over perfectionism
- How he ended up writing Green Lantern Corps for DC
- Engineering “holy sh*t” moments
- Why David wakes up at 4AM
- The importance of working at your own pace
- Why it’s crucial to replenish the well
If you like what David has to say, check out his work. And let him know on Twitter!